Support World Domination!
Link to us
and bookmark
us (CTRL+D).

Home / News

RSS Feed
News Archive

Forums

Community

Fan Fiction
Fan Art
Previews
Interviews

TES 4 Oblivion Info

FAQ
Maps
Books
Lore
Quests
Factions
Characters
Races
Birthsigns
Classes
Creatures
Walkthrough
System Requirements

TES 4 Oblivion Media

Screenshots
Wallpapers

Oblivion/Skyrim Portal

Staff
Support Us

Affiliates

Skyrim Portal
DOOM 3 Portal
DOOM 4 Portal
Xbox 360 Degrees
Half-Life Portal
Quake 4 Portal
Gamercast
Paul Smith's Blog

The Knight and the Lady
By General Edor Crespin

 

Chapter 1

 

          The mid-afternoon sun soaked the forest of mainland Morrowind, creating a shimmering blanket of gold and green.  Along a path, two travelers could be spotted through the trees, a knight and a lady. The austere knight was clad in shining Indoril armor with a sheathed claymore on his back. He accompanied the fair lady, whose exquisite silver robe and its elegant folds glistened in the dappled sunlight. Shining red-gold hair cascaded down her back, and her clear violet eyes enchanted all who saw them. A strange scimitar-like sword in its scabbard was strapped to the knight's waist, and the hilt of a dagger, just visible in a sheath, was strapped to his left leg. Fully armed, he looked as though he were always expecting a fight. The lady was also armed, with a magnificent obsidian bow and a tall quiver of arrows strapped to her back. Birds trilled in the lush treetops, while a fat guar or scrawny nix-hound could be glimpsed every now and then through the trees. Night fell slowly, the sun disappearing below the treetops to the west as Masser and Secunda came above the horizon in the east.

"We should stop for the night, m'lady. Sunlight keeps the darkness at bay, but with the darkness comes darkness� creatures, some of a foul sort even I would not want to battle alone," the dark knight said at length, looking at the lady expectantly. His gleaming red eyes were visible through his helm, even in the deepening shadows.

          �Very well,� she replied, �there looks to be a clearing ahead, let us stop there.� She glanced briefly at the knight then pointed at the place where the dark forms of trees were visible against a lighter space. The knight bowed his head in acknowledgement, and soon they arrived at the clearing.

While the lady unpacked several horsemeat steaks and seasoned them, the knight collected wood and brush for a fire. Minutes later they had a roaring blaze going, flames rising high into the treetops. She put the steaks of horsemeat on sturdy sticks which she had carved to a point, and they were soon roasting in the fire, juices sizzling onto the coals as the lady sat and watched silently. Across the fire from her, the knight set his heavy claymore lightly against a tree, and then drew his helmet off.

A thin black scar marked the knight�s face. It ran the length of his ashen face, starting on his forehead above the bridge of his nose, running down through his left eye to end by the corner of his mouth. A smaller scar paralleled it, but this one ended at his eyebrow. The lady whitened slightly at the sight, wondering what horrible wound would give him such a scar. She still didn't understand how he could receive them and still retain the use of his eye, and he would not tell her. The rest of his features were darker and grimmer than normal for the Dunmer race, but from what she had learned of his past, this was not surprising.

The knight sat across the fire from her, sitting with his back against a large log as he stared into the fire dreamily, a reflection of the flames dancing eerily in his molten eyes. "Have you heard of the man they called Indie?" he asked suddenly, raising his head and staring at her through the flames.

          "No, but there are many legends of your land which I have not heard," she said softly, shadows highlighting her fair face as she looked back at him.

          "He was not of my land,� he snorted softly. �He was a famous Cyrodiilic adventurer, one of the best of any man or mer. I met him once, sort of. Marvelous were the tales he told- from chalices that give eternal life, gems of such power that they were second only to the Daedra themselves, an ancient religious artifact that housed power of more interest to the mad than sane, and many more strange and wonderful objects and curiosities. But he never let that corrupt his heart, in the end. He was... he was a good man."

"I would have loved to have met him. He sounds as if he would have been a great help in our current struggle," she said wistfully.

          The knight shook his head. "I fear not. If you had met him, you would understand, m'lady. But now it seems our steaks are done. Let us eat and then sleep, for a long journey still lies ahead of us."

All was calm then as they ate their supper, forest creatures quieting as the last dull hint of the sun disappeared from the western sky. Finishing his meal, the Dunmer knight rose, drew his sword and started feigning moves against a sturdy tree with slow and sure moves. The lady watched him silently for some minutes as he practiced, marveling at the sure and steady hand the knight kept under the weight of the sword. She then turned her attention to the fire and banked most of it with handfuls of dirt. She unrolled her bedroll next to the newly tamed golden-orange flames of the fire and eased down onto it, continuing to watch him as he practiced.

He turned to her after he finished his exercise, his ashen face eerily lit by the subdued light, and bowed deeply. "Sleep well, m'lady. Let not the madness of Sheogorath cloud your sleep, and rest peacefully knowing that the Nerevarine guards thee from all the evils which traverse the land,� he said in an oddly formal voice.

          Her eyes widened at the mention of the name. She drew in a quick breath and bolted up, only to see him flash her a sly smile as he disappeared into the shadows, starting a patrol that would last the entire night.

 

* * *

 

The next morning, they continued their journey after a light breakfast. The leaden sky cast a pall of gloom over the forest, and the journey was made in silence. At one point they came to a clearing in the forest, blanketed with Golden Kanets and Timsa-Come-By flowers. The gold and pink provided a wonderful splash of colour to the dreary forest. �Why� this reminds me of the Royal Gardens, in Cyrodiil City,� the lady said with a smile, turning around slowly. �They were beautiful. Every plant you could think of, immaculately maintained. They only allowed so many people in at a time, it was very quiet and peaceful. They had benches throughout, and I used to just go and sit there for hours at a time, half-asleep and just soaking in the serenity�� she sank down onto the grass and looked up at the knight. �Do you mind if we stop here for a while? It would be nice to just rest and try to relax, at least for a time.�

�We can rest... I enjoy this place as well,� the knight said. He was intrigued by her innocent manner, so different from when they had started their journey. He carefully sat down next to her and he pulled his helmet off and set it in his lap. He leaned back against a tree and closed his eyes, breathing in deeply and slowly, the combined fragrance of the flowers, the grass, and the surrounding trees was enjoyable and even mildly intoxicating to one who had grown up in and near the dead, dry Ashlands of Vvardenfell. The island had few places as lush as these. He opened his eyes and glanced over at her and saw her eyes were closed, she was breathing deeply and peacefully. He slowly closed his again�

          His eyes snapped open. His gaze darted around the darkened clearing, searching for that which had awakened him. Thunder rumbled dully in the distance, but except for the silver-draped form of the lady leaning against his side, the clearing was still and empty. But something had awakened him� He cursed to himself, it was not his nature to fall asleep in the middle of the day when he had matters to attend to. �Awaken, m�lady,� he carefully reached over and shook her slightly. Her eyes flickered open and she levered herself upright slowly, staring around the shadowed clearing before she looked up at him, her violet eyes clouded. �We fell asleep.�

          �Yes. I do not know why, but we should leave this place,� he stood up and pulled his helmet back on, he grasped the hilt of his sheathed sword tightly as he looked around the clearing again. The lady stood up and unclasping her bow, nocked an arrow and searched the clearing nervously

          A chill breeze blew suddenly and the knight drew his sword out of its scabbard. He passed his gauntleted hand over it and murmured a word and suddenly it burst into flame over the entire length of the blade- the legendary Trueflame of the equally legendary Dunmer general Indoril-Nerevar.  It pushed back the encroaching shadows and he said sharply, �Go. I will follow,� he turned around slowly, searching for the hidden threat. The lady started off quickly down the trail, moving with uncertain steps. The knight followed slightly slower, searching the forest. The woods had lost the friendliness of yesterday, lack of sunlight multiplied the shadows and even with experience which few of this era could boast, he found himself staring at shadows that seemed to move and lengthen completely at odds with the rest.

          They came to a curve in the trail and up ahead he could see wider spaces and fewer shadows. The lady slowed slightly, and he glanced back for one last view of the area they had left. No being crossed his sight, but yet� His throat thickened. He knew something was there. This was not something he could face alone, not even with all his awesome power and experience. Not with the lady relying on him, and he on her. He quickened his steps until he caught up with the lady. By now, they were in a thinner area of the forest. The shadows were not so ominous now, and while thunder still rumbled distantly it lacked the ominous tone it had before.

          �I�ve only heard of such a place a few times,� the lady slid the arrow back into her quiver and clasped the bow back onto its strap on her back. �When I was studying lore in the Imperial Archives. In such places, there is an old magic. One that can not be felt until it is too late,� she said quietly as she walked slowly. The knight said a quiet word and the flame on his sword died, revealing itself to be unaffed. He slid his sword back into the scabbard and walked alongside her. �It�s said to be as old as the Daedra. Or perhaps even older. No one knows. All that�s known that tales are told of a place that appeals to the innermost instincts, and traps you. The longer you stay, the weaker you become until� I don�t know what.� She shuddered, now she was walking without thinking, her eyes glazed over.

          The knight abruptly stopped and grabbed her hand, pulled her to face him. �Stop. Do not think of such things,� he said strongly. �It will only scar you. On our quest to Vvardenfell you will encounter many strange things, but I promise you, I have faced them all- and defeated them all! I will keep you safe!�

          She drew in a deep, shuddery breath and nodded jerkily. �Of course you have. You�re the Nerevarine,� she said. He nodded soundlessly, and she turned from him sharply and walked a few steps and then turned back to face him. �I apologize. But I have never felt such� evil before. I will be fine. I promise,� she said with a small smile.

          The two finally resumed their journey after the strange interlude in the secluded clearing. The trees of the forest slowly changed as they walked on. The raucous cry of sea birds and the muffled roar of breakers on the beach slowly became audible in the distance and then without warning the dreary forest abruptly ended on a tall bluff, revealing the Inner Sea that divided mainland Tamriel from the island of Vvardenfell. A hazy red cloud stained the northern horizon, evidence of the Blight-spewing Red Mountain. The lady gazed at it for several moments in silence, before turning to the knight, who had also been regarding it. �So that is your home? I had known that the volcano dominated the land, but I never thought like� that.�

He shook his head. �No, there must be a Blight storm over there right now. Clouds of ash from Red Mountain defile the land for several leagues in all directions. On a bad day it�s been known for the ash to reach as far south as Balmora. But now, our transport awaits us,� he pointed at a barque just coming around the tip of a cape some distance away. �They�ll send a smaller boat to the beach to pick us up. Let us go down to the shore and await their arrival.�

Slowly and cautiously they made their way down the steep sandy slope, often having to grab onto scraggy plants to keep from slipping. By the time they reached the bottom, the barque had anchored some distance offshore and a small launch was coming ashore. Waves lapped on the sandy beach, and the lady gathered her robes around her and sat some way from the water on a bed of water-smoothed pebbles, patiently waiting.   

�Sir Rotherane! I�m Bos�n Baro Ponius. We must move quickly,� an Imperial sitting at the bow of the boat called. �A mage from Molag Mar teleported onboard the Glory and warned us that a large storm is moving towards us. The sooner we get back into deep water, the safer we�ll be.� He jumped onto the beach as the boat ground ashore and held out his hand to the lady. Standing up, she gathered her robe up in one hand and ignoring him, nimbly jumped onto the boat and took a seat on the bench in front of the two rows of rowers. The Imperial made a small sound of disgust but quieted quickly when he saw the Dunmer looking at him steadily. The knight climbed into the launch and took the seat next to the lady. Ponius climbed in after them, pushing the boat off the sand and into shallow water as he did. He nodded to the rowers, and they were off again, heading into a stiff breeze towards the barque. Whitecaps crashed over the bow and the bottom was soon damp, soaking everyone�s boots. The sailors bore it stoically, but the lady was soon soaked, the water seeping through her light leather boots. She shivered and pulled her robe tighter around herself, sliding her hands deep into the opposite sleeves. She looked out over the deep water as they moved steadily closer to the ship, watching it rocking up and down in the deep blue waves and shivered again.

The knight glanced over at her and after a moment, put his hand on hers and murmured a few words. She gasped as her hands and arms warmed up as if she were warming them over a fire and flashed a grateful smile at him. He managed to smile back, and then turned his attention back to the ship as they drew nearer, wondering at what he had felt.

A rope ladder was thrown over the side when they were a few yards away, and with careful maneuvering the launch slid into place next to it, gently knocking against the wooden hull of the barque. One of the mates clambered up first and then a head appeared over the side, covered in a black tricorne. He waved at them and called down, �It�s good you�re here. The storm is on the horizon, we must get moving!�

Two more of the sailors climbed up the ladder and then Ponius motioned for the two companions to go. The knight nodded and turned to the lady, but she was already going up the ladder with a feline grace, her robes not hampering her in the slightest. She disappeared over the top, and then it was the knight�s turn.

He swiftly climbed the ladder and jumped over the side. The deck of the ship was strewn with barrels, ropes, and some spots were covered with unidentifiable substances, but it was not as filthy as other ships he had been on.  Then again, this was to be expected from a ship of the Empire.
          The man who had called down to them bowed deeply. �Sir Rotherane, welcome aboard Akatosh�s Glory. I�m Captain Saprius Vunnis, master and commander of this vessel. If I may, I have a cabin prepared for you and the lady, the faster you�re settled down the better.�

�Thank you, Captain. You may get under way as soon as you�re ready. We must reach Vvardenfell as soon as possible,� he replied.

�I agree. And now, if you�ll come with me�� He walked toward the stern of the ship, the knight and the lady following him. He pulled open a door below the weather deck to reveal a well-lit room comfortably but sparsely furnished. Two beds in the corner, a sturdy table opposite the door with two chairs, and two chests next to the door were all that was in the room. �This will be your room for the length of the voyage. Meals will be brought here, if you have any requests, simply ask me or any of my officers. And now, if you will excuse me, I�ll go get us under way.�

The Dunmer knight glanced around the room before going back outside. He went over to the railing and leaned forward against it, looking quietly at the storm clouds that covered the northern horizon. The Blight cloud was barely visible above them, staining the rest of the sky a rusty red. Off to the west, the sun was just barely visible through clouds as it settled below the horizon.

�Do you think we have a chance?�

He glanced over to see the lady standing next to him, looking out over the water. �Truthfully? I do not know. Perhaps Vivec and the Emperor�s mages are wrong. Perhaps they are right� time will tell. The Daedra would be a great help- if they aren�t the ones behind all of this.�

�The Daedra? What would they have to gain from this? Why would they do this?�

�That is a question only they can answer,� he said with a sigh.

The Akatosh�s Glory slowly came about until its bow pointed due north, its great sails filling out, straining at their binding ropes. The ship gradually picked up speed, cutting through the rolling waves with majestic ease as it sailed towards the island of Vvardenfell.

All content and images are copyright © TES4: Oblivion Portal 2004-2010,
or their respective owners, and cannot be reproduced without prior written consent.